Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Yummy Recipe from a restaurant in Hawaii

I had some cut lemons left over from last weekends catering job that needed to get used and I absolutely hate to throw anything away, so.... I decided to try my orange bread recipe with lemons. :) 
My sister in law gave me this recipe years ago. I’m not sure where Fritzie got it, but it is a unique recipe and I love it. Everyone makes zucchini bread, pumpkin bread, etc, but I've never had another bread like this one other than this recipe. This makes very dense but moist bread. Serve it with honey butter or cream cheese. It also freezes well, as most sweet breads do.  

I think I'll add a lemon glaze too. to give it a little more flair. :) 


STEWARTS ORANGE BREAD
From Stewarts Café in Waikiki, Hawaii

4 cups flour
1 2/3 cup sugar
2 TB baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 eggs
½ cup oil
1 ½ cups milk
1 orange finely ground skin and all to make 1 cup

Mix first four ingredients and set aside.
In a stand mixer beat eggs until thick.
Slowly add oil and beat one minute.
Combine ground orange with dry ingredients alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition.

Divide into 2 greased and floured loaf pans.
Let rest for 20 minutes while oven heats to 400.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until loaves have risen to the top of the pans and started to brown slightly.
Turn oven down to 300 and continue to bake for an additional 30 – 40 minutes or until done.
Allow to stand in the pans for 10 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment