Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Caribbean Jerk Chicken and Vegetables

I'm taking advantage of another beautiful day to grill out on the deck before it gets nasty again. I did my baking this morning and since the pool needed my attention I decided I might as well grill while I was out there.

This morning I took out some chicken breasts and put them in a gallon Ziploc with some Caribbean Jerk Marinade. Just before I went out to the pool I cut up some fresh pineapple, onion, green pepper and a few Roma tomatoes. I tossed them with a little of the same marinade that I had left from the chicken.

Then I loaded my tray with the Whole Wheat Couscous fixings and everything I'd need to grill. After vacuuming the pool and floating a while with Bongo I grilled the chicken and veggies while cooking the couscous (and reading a book).

This meal doesn't warrant a "recipe" as there really is nothing to it. Just choose your marinade, meat, veggies and side dish. Grill and you're done. I have many recipes for marinade, but you can get so many varieties now for so cheap it's almost not worth making it sometimes. The one I used tonight was a generic brand from Walmart for $1.53. I'll get 2 meals from it. Can't beat that! Just choose your vegetable to go with the "theme" of your marinade. Play with it. Mix it up. Try a new combination- whatever tickles your fancy. The point is, meal preparation CAN be easy and fun. So go to the dressing isle of your supermarket, stroll through the marinades and get inspired! You just  might find a new favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment