Friday, August 26, 2011

Home-made Pizza always hits the spot!


Harv is working long hours and I have been running all day. As I was coming home I was tempted to pick up fast food. But we are watching our pennies and I was in the mood for pizza. So I picked up mom Danhoff (who LOVES pizza) and got to work. Home-made pizza is really not hard and faster than you might think.

I have been making homemade pizza for years and this is my favorite recipe. Our neighbor in Washington Nancy Cayo had an Italian friend who said to mix olive oil, vinegar and garlic and spread over the crust before toppings. I usually just spread with olive oil and minced garlic and forego the vinegar. The oil keeps the crust from getting soggy and I am a huge garlic fan. If you don’t like using fresh tomatoes, substitute tomato paste.


SUE’S HOMEMADE PIZZA
 
Dissolve 1 TBL yeast in 1 1/3 cups warm water.
Add:
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 TBL olive oil

Stir in:
4 cups flour to form soft dough. Kneed.
Cover and let rise.
Punch down dough and divide dough into 2 balls.
Roll each onto cookie sheet or pizza pan dusted with cornmeal or flour.
Brush each crust with olive oil.
Press several cloves garlic over crust and spread to coat.
Spread 1 or 2 TBL pesto over crust. If you don’t have pesto sprinkle tomatoes with sea salt, 2 pinches basil, 1 pinch oregano and 2 pinches parsley after layering them on the crust.
Thinly slice Roma tomatoes. Arrange slices to cover dough.
Top each crust with a generous coating of shredded mozzarella and fresh Parmesan cheeses.
Add your choice of toppings such as:
Pepperoni, browned sausage, bacon, ham, assorted peppers, onion, olives, mushroom, etc.

Bake at 400-425 for 20-30 minutes.                          



No comments:

Post a Comment