Monday, July 18, 2011

Asian Pasta Salad

I had planned on making my Southwest Ceaser Salad for dinner tonight, but found I was missing several key ingredients. So once again I get to "play with my food" and see what I can come up with. It is very hot and humid here today so I wanted something that was cool, light and refreshing. This Asian Pasta Salad is the result.

Asian Pasta Salad
2 cups shell pasta
2 cups broccoli florets cut small
1/2 cup green sweet pepper, diced
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 slicing tomato or 2 romas diced
1, 15oz can mandarin oranges drained
2 large chicken breasts, diced (abt 1 1/2 -2 cups diced)
2-3 TBL hot pepper jelly or sweet pepper sauce (found in Asian section of supermarket)
1 TBL sesame oil
2 TBL sesame seeds
Newman's Own Low Fat Sesame Ginger Dressing

Cook pasta to Al Dente. Drain and rinse with cold water. Cool.
Heat sesame oil in fry pan. Add diced chicken along with a few cloves of minced garlic or a little garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.  Add hot pepper jelly and sesame seeds and cook until chicken is no longer pink and liquid is absorbed. Cool.

Toss pasta, veggies, oranges and chicken with about 1/2 bottle of the dressing.
Top with toasted or sugared almonds

NOTE: I make my own hot pepper jelly if anyone would like that recipe. You may also purchase it at larger grocery stores. I will also post later how to make the sugared nuts.

This is where the playing with food comes in. lol
You can use any nut in place of the almonds- raw, dry roasted, sugared, toasted- whatever fits your mood.
Substitute shrimp or pork for the chicken.
Change out the pasta with pene or bow tie.
Switch the oranges for strawberries or pineapple.
Try poppy seed dressing for the Asian style, and use poppy seeds instead of the sesame seeds.

The point is, have fun with your food.
Make it your own.
Create, Play. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment