Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Wings and Things

Tonight I was in the mood for wings. I marinated the wings in Kraft Free Caesar Dressing then popped them on the grill. Well, actually, they were the last thing on the grill. Let me back up a bit.

Here is tonight's menu:
Grilled garlic bread,Carrots, grilled potato slabs and marinated wings.

First I marinated the wings.

Then I scrubbed a few potatoes and slice them lengthwise into 1/4 - 1/2" thick slabs. Pour a few TBS of olive oil into a pan and add 1TBS of Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. I really like the Pampered Chef Italian Seasoning Blend.

Next I slice some Italian Bread into 1/2" slabs and lightly butter both sides. I then sprinkled a little garlic powder and some of the Pampered Chef Italian Seasoning Blend over one side.

I placed the better part of a 1lb bag of baby carrots in a small sauce pan and barely covered with water. Add a little S & P and 1/2 tsp of the PC Italian Seasoning.

Now it's time to bring all that out to the grill.



I grilled the bread on the top rack while cooking the potatoes on the lower rack.

The key is to keep the grill fairly low and move the potatoes around on the grill often. When the potatoes have a nice color, and are fairly tender but not yet cooked all the way thru, remove them to  a covered pan. They will continue to cook and steam until done. If you cook them the entire time over the flame they will become too dry.

Once I removed the potatoes I added the wings to the grill. Then I can sit back and enjoy the bread while I watch over the wings. Of course I had to dip in the pool a few times while grilling. Its incredibly hot and humid here in Ohio today. lol

Here is the completed meal, plated up and ready to enjoy in the dappled shade of  our pergola.

I did end up making a dipping sauce from sour cream and this wonderful sauce I bought on line, but basically any hot sauce would do. If you want to check out some fun sauces, go to Spice Exchange Brand by Figueroa Brothers. They have some really awesome sauces and marinades. What I used tonight was Habanero Traditional Caribbean Style Hot Sauce & Marinade.

While this meal might not have been the lowest in calories, it isn't too bad either.  What this meal lacked on the diet range it made up for in ease. Cooking in the summer for me is all about quick, easy and simple meals so you can enjoy your time in the sun with family and friends.

So check out your fridge and see what you have in there to use in a marinade and go for it. Quick and easy is the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment