Thursday, July 21, 2011

Those hazy lazy summer days

Ohio is so hot right now you feel like you are melting the minute you walk outside. My pool was 92 which isn't nearly as cooling as it should be. The humidity is so high you can cut the air with a knife. It was too hot to comfortably grill outside. At least for this native born Washingtonian anyway. So I opted for a quick and simple meal made from some prepared and some fresh ingredients.


My wonderful hubby brought me some Haricot beans (long slender French green beans) which I steamed with some onion and garlic.

I had some three cheese multi-colored tortellini that I cooked up and made a quick Alfredo to go with it. If you've never made your own Alfredo you should give it a try. It is incredibly easy to make. I cook whatever pasta I am in the mood for. Drain into colander and lightly rinse to stop the cooking process and keep the pasta from sticking together. Take a few TBL of butter and brown a few cloves of minced garlic. Add back in the pasta and stir to coat. Then add 1 -2 cups of half and half (I use fat free) or whole cream depending on your preference, and 1/2 - 1 cup of fresh Parmesan or a combo of Parmesan and Romano. Sprinkle with a generous amount of black pepper (preferably fresh grated). Stir for a few minutes until sauce thickens.

And last, but not least, I browned some store-bought meatballs that were hiding in my freezer in a little olive oil with several cloves of garlic thinly sliced. That's it! Simple, quick and delicious! Allowing me more time to spend laying under the air conditioner....on Facebook. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment