Monday, October 17, 2011

Grandma Scott's Baked Beef Stew

As the colder weather rolls back in and the chilling winds seem to seep into every crack and crevice of the house I begin to seek some warmer comfort. 

What could better fit that need than my grandmothers Baked Beef Stew. Not only do I have the warmth from the oven, but as the aromas from the stew begin to permeate the air I am transported back in time to grandma's kitchen and my childhood home where this was often served. 

This was my grandmother’s signature stew (next to her oyster stew I think). It is so quick and easy to prepare and smells so yummy as it cooks slow all day. I serve it with Hersink Rolls or any other favorite roll recipe you might have.  This also works well in a crock pot, but I think the flavors, texture and consistency are a bit better in the oven.  


GRANDMA SCOTT’S BAKED BEEF STEW

1 – 1 ½ lbs lean beef roast, cut into 1” chunks
4 – 6 potatoes scrubbed or peeled and cut into 1” chunks
2 ribs celery cut into chunks
1 medium onion cut into chunks
¾ lb carrots cut into 1” chunks
1 envelop dry onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
½ can water

Combine all ingredients in large baking dish or small roasting pan.
Cover and bake at 250 for 5 hours or 300 for 3 hours.

You can also add a can of stewed tomatoes, green peppers or cut green beans. 
I think Grandma would sometimes add turnips too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment