Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Oat Bread


I can’t remember where I got this recipe but I've used it for years. This is one of my favorite breads, it is very moist and chewy. For three loaves, there is only 2 TB fat and the only sugar is 1/2 cup molasses. Great toasted also. It will start getting crumbly after 3 or 4 days so if you take longer to eat it, store in the fridge or freezer. I tried using whole wheat flour, but that made it too heavy for us. I have had good success with substituting one to two cups of whole wheat pastry flour though


Oat Bread

4 cups boiling water
2 cups steel cut oats (scotch oats)
Pour boiling water over oats in large bowl. Cover and let rest until almost cool and most of water is absorbed.
Add:
2 TBL of Olive oil or butter
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup molasses
Soften 2 TBL yeast in 1/2 cup warm water and add to above.
6-8 cups flour
Gradually stir in flour, one cup at a time, kneading in the last few cups until a soft dough forms.
Knead until smooth and elastic.
Cover and let rise until doubled. 
Punch down and form into 3 loaves.
Place in greased loaf pans or form into rolls. (I do approx a dozen rolls per loaf of bread) Let rise.
Bake 375 for 35- 40 minutes.
Bread should be golden and sound hollow when tapped on the top.
Remove to wire rack and brush top and sides with butter.


No comments:

Post a Comment